MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Re: VHS Footage Rendered Out As Progressive Does Not Look Good

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John Rofrano
Re: VHS Footage Rendered Out As Progressive Does Not Look Good
on Nov 27, 2015 at 10:20:56 pm

[Jackie Luffy] "Everytime I do "custom frame size" in the render settings and make it 655 by 480 it changes to 656 for some reason, each time I click save and click on something else its back to 656 by 480!"
That's OK. You must have selected format that requires resolution to be in multiples of 8 pixels. 656 is evenly divisible by while 655 isn't so don't worry about it. Use 656.
[Jackie Luffy] "My project properties are set to 720 By 480 so I changed that to 655 By 480 to see what happens and in the video preview it shows black bars on the top and bottom of the screen now, I ignored it and went to the render settings and this time it was set to 655 by 480, but now when I click render I get an error message "An error occured while creating the media file, an invalid argument was specified?"
You don't want to change your project. Your project is already correct. NTSC DV video is 720x480 with a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 0.0901. The black bars were probably because you forgot to change the pixel aspect ratio but as I said... you don't want to do this Keep your project set to make your DV source video.
[Jackie Luffy] "I'm not sure I understand why it has to be 655 instead of 720, how is it that in Vegas 720 by 480 shows that it fits the preview box perfectly but when I set it to 655 by 480 it looks wrong because there are black bars on the top and bottom?"
Because back in the days of DV, Televisions were Analog and not Digital and they dod not use square pixels. Their pills were slightly thinner so you could fit 720 in the same space as 655 square ones. Computers are digital and only use square pixels. Your problem is caused by the different between square pixels and non-square pixels.
[Jackie Luffy] "I am also not putting these files for internet use, I just want them to be in the best quality so I can store them on my harddrive"
Then I would keep them in their original format and render to Video For Windows (*.avI) with the NTSC DV template.

Why are you trying to render them as progressive video? I thought you had a reason for doing this and I didn't question you but if you are trying to store these in the best possible format, then the ORIGINAL format is the best! Store them as DV AVI files.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]