MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Re: Vegas Pro 11 released

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dave Haynie
Re: Vegas Pro 11 released
on Oct 19, 2011 at 4:43:03 pm

You may have found a bug in multicam... I sincerely doubt Sony did this on purpose or anything. I was always mixed about Sony's multicam implementation anyway, though it has improved over the years.

It should go without saying, but you absolutely must get the latest graphics driver for your card before judging its performance on Vegas 11 or any other GPGPU stuff. These things have been evolving rapidly over the years. For example, if you have an ATi/AMD card more than a year or two old, you might have the deprecated "Close to the Metal" Streams API, and an incomplete OpenCL implementation.

As for XP vs. Vista/Windows 7, the choice is usually based on the available APIs. Microsoft builds OS functions, C++ frameworks, etc. that developers use. And these are continuously improved. And sometimes, they're not back-ported to the older OS. Windows XP was released over 10 years ago, the last major update was in 2008... one would hope that technology advanced just a bit since then.

I dropped XP in 2009 for Windows 7, largely to get 64-bit support. Sure, XP existed in a 64-bit version, but that was largely unsupported. Microsoft drives those things: their certification program tells developers what they have to support and what's optional. 64-bit was optional for Windows XP, mandatory for Vista. I like 64-bit for video. I absolutely need it for photo editing -- just try a 30-40 photo panoramic merge of 18Mpixel RAW photos without at least 8GB of RAM (I have 16GB). Things explode.

And of course, while it's in Microsoft's interest to keep customers happy, it's also in their interest to both spend their money when it'll make them the most money. That often means supporting new things only on new OSs. Similarly, developers like Sony move to these new things, either for better device support, easier and more reliable coding work, or even totally new functions.

For example, part of my current day job is with Connectify. Their main product is a computer program that turns a Windows PC into a hotspot. It is absolutely necessary to have Windows 7 to get a real Access Point. You can get Ad-Hoc mode with Windows Vista or XP, but we can't even support anything before XP SP3, due to other improvements in the OS (not sure of the details there).

-Dave

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]