MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Re: Vegas render times at 6-12 times real time?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael McCune
Re: Vegas render times at 6-12 times real time?
on Jul 23, 2011 at 7:57:50 pm

Thanks Nigel, Steve and Jeff for your thoughtful comments.

Cut to the chase: I am trying Premiere Pro and it consistently renders in about 1.5 times real time; that is, one minute of video renders out to, say, mp4 or blu-ray at about 1 1/2 times the real time. And it scrubs the time line and previews at full frame rate. Same time line clips as used in Vegas but 800% faster.

For testing I have full Premiere on a one-month subscription for about $60.

I have a current Sony Vegas tech support reply which, in addition to your comments, lead me to suspect that, while there are many and various ways to try to mitigate the problem, it is really fundamental to Vegas.

That is, one can work in a reduced mode -- previews at low res, low res proxy, disabled effects, etc.--or install an admittedly better operating system--but the big and fundamental problem remains.

I wonder if Sony Vegas intends to support this end of the product line as much as its serious users might like. Sony tech support had to say they had no system available to them to test GPU utilization (!) and the best improvement they could suggest might be 30% max and likely much less. It seemed on more than one chat with them that they were relying on user reports and not their own internal testing.

They could not identify any baseline hardware that might accomplish this. Of course their rationale was that there are too many hardware variations but I suspect the more accurate answer is that they have yet to put the necessary resources into managing the problem.

Premiere has, for example, a list of cards to are known to work best and their web site has hardware guidelines.

I would love to stay with Sony Vegas but I burned a client lately with 12-hour render times--only to find an obvious tweak that could not be made due to time.

And Premiere is available to Vegas users at the promotional 1/2 price offcer, same as FCPX users.

Thanks again and if you hear of any Vegas good news in this regard I would love to hear it.

Yours,
Mike

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]