Re: control path length using expressions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andy Engelkemier
Re: control path length using expressions
on Sep 5, 2019 at 8:03:33 pm

Ah, yikes. Is there an example of this?

My issue is I'm animating several lines with different length. The "speed" all looks the same because it's just moving the trim path, but that's based on a percentage.

It's a real shame that AE didn't include a path length variable so you could use that in expressions without having to create the complicated math every time. At least, that's what I'm finding.

So for me, if I half circle paths and one length is half the other, when I go to animate the trim path, I'd want one finishing in half the time as the other. I was just going to do it manually based on the path length, but I couldn't find that.

So my solution? Ha, copy and paste the path into illustrator. Select a path and open up the Document Info window. Change, via the hamburger menu, to objects, and yay, it shows you the path length.

So I wrote those down, and that gave me the percentage to slow each animation down so all the trim animations were moving at the same rate.

So Adobe HAS math to calculate that already. It would just be lovely if they had it as an object you can call on within expressions.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]