FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: You old guys: Got any tricks for cleaning clogged one-inch video heads?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Larry Odham
Re: You old guys: Got any tricks for cleaning clogged one-inch video heads?
on Mar 7, 2012 at 3:18:54 pm

Hello Mark,
came across your post, it's been a while, dont know if you are still needing some help with your head clogs.
The problem you are having is not as much the head clog, but the tape itself. The head clog is the symptom of a more serious problem.Tape hydrolysis - moisture has been absorbed by the binder and/or lubricant layers in the tape, causing a sticky-shedding syndrome of a black goo substance.
When a tape gets to this point, two approaches will work,1. tape burnishing on a tape cleaning machine with lint-free pellon cloth. or2. to bake the tape for several hours at 122 deg.F in a oven specially built for tape baking.
Baking works 99% of the time if the oxide layer isn't damaged. I dont do much 1 inch, most of what I do here is 2 inch quad. For example to bake-dry a one hour 2 inch tape, the oven is brought up to 122 slowly over a two hour period, and baked at a constant 122 deg f +- .5 deg. for 18 hours, then cooled slowly back down to room temp for another 18 hours.
Afterwards, the tape will usually play back with no head clogs for a short period of time from a day to a week or so before picking up moisture again.
OK hope this helps a little,I could probably bake a few tapes for you if needed,
larry@quadtapexfer.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]