FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: You old guys: Got any tricks for cleaning clogged one-inch video heads?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bruce N. Goren
Re: You old guys: Got any tricks for cleaning clogged one-inch video heads?
on Oct 16, 2010 at 6:58:04 am

Avoid using cotton on video heads, no such thing really as cotton lint-less.

We used to have lint-less linen squares to keep Quads clean, I think the Textwipe folks supplied it. First line of defense was alcohol, and as mentioned here already, freon was the second line of defense. But freon could crack the heads if used too liberally. We kept a squeeze bottle of each on top of each machine. I remember some cowboys would drip a few drops from a bottle of freon right on the headwheel to wash away a persistent on-air clog! I would wrap my thumb with a layer of linen cloth square, drench my wrapped thumb with freon, and apply directly to the spinning head, can still hear that ziiizzzzzzzzz, managed never to slice my finger or break a head! Some guys used their bare thumbs, ouch!

Third and most potent cleaner was xylene, a powerful and dangerous solvent, smelled like magic markers, I seem to recall if you got the tiniest amount on your hands you could feel it penetrate deeply and almost "taste" it a few seconds later. Use gloves, don't breathe the fumes!

One inch head gaps are smaller and the assembly more fragile than quad so never try the crazy powered up spinning tricks we did in the old days with Quad.

Bruce N. Goren
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"
John Wooden, Basketball Coach

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]