FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Broadcast Audio levels mandate?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: Broadcast Audio levels mandate?
on Dec 18, 2009 at 3:05:50 am

there are countless articles now in TV Technology and Broadcast Engineering about loudness products (and I don't mean Dorroughs Loudness meters) to regulate perceived loudness. Now, I am a lazy good for nothing, and I didn't scour these articles, but my initial impression was "then stick a damn clamping limiter on the output and compress the heck out of everything - what's the biggie". BUT NOOOOOOOOOO - now Miranda and Dolby and other have lots of nice expensive new hardware to make this happen (I didn't read the details).

The Dolby LM100, and it's enforcement (of -23dBfs delivery for audio levels) was just the beginning. I view this as a "hanging on tooth and nail" to stay employed, and justify the expensive engineering positions at these larger network broadcast facilities. My wife, who couldn't see a drop out if it hit her in the face, is tormented by the audio sync errors delivered by countless cable systems (the picture and lip sync don't match) and it drives her nuts. And "they" are worried about audio loudness.

This defines the politics of our industry.

Bob Zelin

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]