FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Compression question - for film fest submission....

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compression question - for film fest submission....
on Apr 25, 2013 at 9:32:58 pm

[Tom Laughlin] "Yea, I noticed that when you switch from the codec "MainConcept H.264" to the "x.264" at the top of the Squeeze interface, the list of 'specs to change' changes in the window, and there are different prefs, some are there and are similar, but with the x.264 window, not all the prefs to change are there in the MC H.264 drop-down menu.
"

This is because Squeeze has 3 different (really 4) different h.264 encoders; each have different capabilities - all will encode a h.264 viable file.
Sorenson has their own encoder that they built
Main Concepts is the one they licensed (that most of the other software - Episode & Adobe Media Encoder happen to use.)
They also are using the open source x264 implementation.

99% sure you don't *really* need to work about 99% of those switches (that's why there's the Simple/Advanced) settings. OTOH I totally respect the desire to educate yourself as fully as possible.

Your original post said:
480x270 (16x9)
Bit-rate: 700kbps
Max file-size: 500 MB

Well, at that size (which should be okay-ish for h.264, you can get about 100 minutes of footage.
Not happy with it? As you increase the bit rate you get a larger file...and if you limit it to 500 megs, you get less minutes.

90% of quality is going to be the data rate.

SD: 640x360 @ 1000kbs is a good place to start.
As you reduce the file size, you can reduce the data rate.
If you reduce the FPS (to 2:1) you can cut the data rate in half.

A better question (one I think I asked in my first reply) was: how long is the video? Based on that, we can talk about increasing the data rate.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]