FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: MPEG2 for HD broadcast

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Blair
Re: MPEG2 for HD broadcast
on Feb 2, 2010 at 3:26:29 am

If your footage was shot 1080i and the timeline is 1080i, then regardless of what you edit in or export from your MPG2 output should use the same field dominance as the footage and timeline, which from what I've read is upper field first.

Properly shot 24P footage with pull-down should not look overly "stroby" as you describe it. The only time you get unacceptable judder is if you pan too quickly at certain focal lengths. There's a guide used with shooting film (16mm and 35mm) that give you acceptable panning speeds (meaning how fast you could pan) to avoid unacceptable judder (or strobing). The same holds for shooting 24P video, especially considering pulldown is being added electronically inside the camera.

If you have a lot of panning, especially if things in the shot are moving the opposite direction, you're hosed on the strobing thing. It's gonna strobe no matter what you do in the encode. If not, then it's probably a field order mismatch. Try outputting a short segment of the project with the opposite of the field order you did before.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]