FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: How to make wmv into flv without artifacts?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Donnenfield
Re: How to make wmv into flv without artifacts?
on Jun 12, 2008 at 4:50:04 pm

Daniel,
This is great information and adds to my understanding. I have already standardized to 640x480 and have gotten several of the wmv files to convert now. But, I am left with one last nagging wmv movie that was shot 16:9 (640x360). so it needs to be cropped as well as converted to flv. The flv conversion I think I'm getting a handle on with my DV settings, but it's the aspect change that has got me wondering. I tried it once, when I was using the Animation codec and the image came out 640x480, but squished in from the sides. So, clearly, I must change some settings governing the image size when I re-export out of QT Pro. But, it's confusing.

Within QT Pro, I'm presented with the choice of Preserving the aspect ratio or Not Preserving it. I would have thought that I don't want to preserve the aspect ratio since I've already selected the image dimension as 640x480.
But if I do select Preserve aspect ratio, I'm given the alluring options of:
Letter box
Crop
Fit within dimension

Do I want to "Crop" and preserve the 16:9 (640x360) aspect ratio? I tried it once, and got the "squished" image --- 4:3, but pushed in from the sides. Will changing to the DV/DVPro VGA settings with square pixels solve the problem automatically? Just one too many variables to know how to proceed.
Thanks,
David

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]