FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make wmv into flv without artifacts?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Donnenfield
How to make wmv into flv without artifacts?
on Jun 12, 2008 at 5:52:43 am

I took on a job to convert several wmv movie files into Flash files for playback on computer via a thumb drive. The client couldn't provide the source material of master, so got the compressed wmv files instead. Since I needed to shorten some of the movies, I exported the wmv files first as QT files using the Animation codec. I also was able to crop one of the 16:9 movies so they all could be 4:3, as the client desired.

So, I brought these big QT files into FCP to edit and then exported out to Compressor using the FlixExporter Flash encoder. Three out of the five short movies are reasonably acceptable, but two have nasty artifacting, especially with motion and dissovles (where you'd expect it). I have changed the data rate and pushed it up to 4,000 kbps, but that doesn't help. I'm experimenting now with changing the fps to 15 from 30.

Am I nuts for trying to recompress an already compressed movie in going from wmv to flv? Or, is there some trick I can employ to improve picture quality that I haven't thought of yet? My deadline looms. Thanks,
David

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]