ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Re: Question about PC or Mac

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Question about PC or Mac
on Feb 8, 2006 at 1:59:02 pm

I forgot to mention that just as I always tell people, any possible gains in speed you may or may not make while switching systems, has to be considered against the kind of time and effort you must and will spend to learn any new system -- regardless if it's a PC or a Mac or Linux.

For example, I have been on Apple computers since 1982 or so. I have also been using PCs for about five or six years now. I know my way around Macs far, far better than I do Windows or Linux PCs. So I tend to still favor my Macs as at the end of the day, I can get more done on them.

But *any* of my computers is faster than me, I always tend to be the slowest cog in the machine and the machines -- if I could realistically measure their real usage, etc. -- probably spend most of their time waiting for me. (I wonder how many CPU cycles are spent just idling waiting for "the attached human" to do something. Good thing that these machines have no life or brains as I am sure we'd all be boring our machines to death and driving them nuts, no matter which label was on the box.)

The point I am making is that there should be major considerations taken when really considering any change of platform, no matter what platform you use or are thinking of jumping to. That old adage "The grass is always greener..." springs to mind and Dear Ole Dad always reminded me that it really ended: "The grass *is* always greener -- over the septic tank."

Any major move is going to be made with the added expense of downtime and re-education. Hardly anyone ever factors those real but often hidden costs into the equation.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]