ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Re: Recommend me some effects!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John Williams
Re: Recommend me some effects!
on Nov 1, 2019 at 10:38:24 am

As you've realised, there's literally loads of effects in After Effects, which ones you'll find the most helpful depends on the kind of work you do. Motion Graphics artists will use certain effects more while visual effects artist will you others more.

Here's a few in built effects i'd recommend:

Basics:
Gaussian Blur - accelerated general purpose blur
Lumetri Color - accelerated general purpose color correction tools
Stroke - Uses paths the create paint strokes, very useful for creating 'reveal' effects which is very useful for handwritten text animation.
Gradient Ramp - creates a blended gradient of two colors
Drop Shadow - simulates relief from background
Bevel Alpha - adds beveled edge to any image using it's edge
Glow - does what you'd expect (can look better combining two Glow effects with different radius amounts)
Linear wipe - simple transition that can be animated to wipe on/off any element without needing to use masks.
Corner Pin - Resizes and distorts layers based on the fore corners.
CC Sphere - creates a simulated 3D sphere that can be applied to any image or texture

More advanced:
Camera Lens Blur - advanced natural blur effect, can be used to create depth of field
Keylight - best tool for green and blue screen removal (best used as the preset with Key cleaner + Advanced Spill Suppressor)
Transform - Very useful way of adding additional tranformations to layers that may have keyframes on the layer transforms.
Turbulent displace - Distorts any image using a generated noise pattern
Liquify - Straight out of photoshop for distorting pixels using brush tools
Remove Grain - Degrain's noisy footage, can also be useful for smoothing skin
Timewarp - Allows retiming of footage (easier to use that the traditional 'Time Remapping') and adds Pixel Flow (aka Optical flow) to slowed down footage.
Particle World & Particle System - inbuilt particle generators. 'World' allows you to load in layers at the particle that is emitted.
Camera Tracker - 3D camera tracker, very easy and effective to use when tracking moving camera footage
Borix FX Mocha - Solid industry standard planar (surface) tracker, essential for tracking job After Effects can't manage natively.

I'd be interested to hear what others recommend and why?

John Williams

Soho Editors

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]