ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Re: A request for sports template authors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Cassius Marques
Re: A request for sports template authors
on Oct 8, 2019 at 12:54:36 pm

I'll try to untangle some things but your goal is not ordinary AE work, unless you dedicate some time to it everything will look a bit complicated.

In AE, anything you change in any comp can be passed on to others, search how to pick-whip expressions. I should point out here that I have a slight idea of what you're rendering out. So maybe this is not even needed.

[Jerel Peterson] "Could you point me to a tutorial for right-aligned tab stops, or some other method to align the data?"

I'm honestly unfamiliar with tabs so I'm not sure there is more to it than what I'm guessing (a text's own alignment and linking layers to a null). If you can, explain to me what else happens automatically in tabs that you can't yet do in AE.

All I can think of other than that is this:
[Jerel Peterson] "or they use separate entries for each piece of data, which takes a LOT longer to do than AI."

here we have a conundrum: Either you separate the entries and get maximum editability (animation wise) or you will be limited the same way you would be if you don't separate things in illustrator (by layers), e.g you paste a bunch of data to a single text field in IL and Ae would only be able to read that as a single layer, and not do much with it.

You could, of course, paste everything to a single text layer in AE. And program each text field to get a substring of text from that main text layer. It would take time and require knowledge of expressions though. I think the reason you don't see that in templates is because creators have no clue of the way you present, store and fetch your data. So they would have only complicated ways of presenting/explaining their templates.

Even if you use a script like this one that automates a lot of things, you won't bridge out the gap in the flexibility of editing and the neatness of a proper designed template. Things are just too specific for each usage to be all-encompassing.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]