Re: RED footage and Exporting color accurate EXRs

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jack Chavez
Re: RED footage and Exporting color accurate EXRs
on Aug 13, 2019 at 10:41:05 pm

Thanks all for the comments.

My goal is to be able to preserve the "look" of the R3Ds throughout the pipeline (Premiere, AE, and ideally Fusion, to Resolve) so that when the Colorist comes in the rendered VFX shots match the camera originals (as defined by the settings in the metadata.) Hence my desire to deliver EXRs.

• R3Ds β€”Β In both AE and Fusion, I've started with the default interpretation, which references the metadata for deBayering, so to my mind they SHOULD match on the scopes, but don't for some reason. Perhaps AE is doing some soft-clipping.
  • Didn't know that about ProPhoto. I've seen it recommended in a few different places but, yeah, in the Adobe documentation for sure.
  • "how are you comparing them? each program has its own particular flavor of color management. do they match if you import then into the same program window?" The screenshots I've posted show just that. The first image is both R3D and EXR layered with a mask on the first one β€” as described. The Fusion screenshot is as described as well. The scopes I've posted show the different ways the data is being interpreted by the software in each case.
  • If I export an EXR sequence out of AE with certain settings it does match the AE interpretation of the R3D. Same for Fusion to Fusion. Not for Fusion to AE so far. EXRs from RED Cine-X look nothing like the original image. There may be a certain amount of PEBCAK involved here. 😐

I have figured out a somewhat workable process that works from AE to Resolve but I'm not satisfied with it. I will continue doing more testing and probably talk to Adobe, BM and RED about the various issues I've encountered. (Let the finger pointing begin! 😊) I hesitate to post it until I'm satisfied that it works the way I want it to.

I have considered using OCIO and bypassing AE color management entirely, but feel I shouldn't HAVE to. Perhaps that's where I'll end up but I'm going to tackle this puzzle a while longer.

Cheers.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]