ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Looping an animated composition along a path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jon Ewing
Looping an animated composition along a path
on Aug 9, 2019 at 12:02:52 pm

I'm an After Effects newbie trying to teach myself without having to ask stupid questions on this forum, but thre's something I think I need to understand better!

What I am doing is (I think) pretty simple.

I've got a lightbulb graphic I imported from Illustrator. I made a composition in which the lightbulb blinks on and off. I imported that into my main project composition and used time remapping to make it loop using the script “LoopOut(Type="Cycle", numKeyframes = 0)”.

So far so good.

Now I wanted my bulb to move across the screen. So I made a path and copied the Mask Path properties to the Position property of my lightbulb composition.

Sure enough, the lighbulb now moved along the path. But it was just the first frame moving.

I managed to get it to blink on and off and I can see that it's something to do with the the timing of keyframes on the lightbulb layer and the two "Time Remap" values, which default to "00.00,00.00".

So, I am nearly there, but I am missing some fundamental understanding of how it works. Can someone explain it to me?

As an example, if my lightbulb blinks once per second and takes two secodns to cross the screen, what should my timeline look like?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]