instanced composition, changeable color attribute

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andy Engelkemier
instanced composition, changeable color attribute
on Jul 11, 2019 at 8:10:12 pm

No idea how to name this, sorry.
I don't actually Think this is possible, but maybe I'm not thinking far enough outside the box?

I have an animation in one composition. There is a checkmark that will change color, depending on where it is. But all 12 will be visible at once.

So the first comes on and animates. The checkmark is blue. The second comes on, it's yellow. The third, purple. You get the idea. All 12 end up visible at the same time.

Once I'm done with all of these, someone will surely like to see the animation changed slightly....15 times. So I try and plan accordingly.

So, is there a way to pass an effect to a single instance of a composition? This seems like a job for essential graphics. But if you've tried that, you've probably realized by now it is Very half baked. Same with protected region. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesn't. So frustrating. But if that's the tool, I'd love to know how to get it to work. But is that really only for sending things to Premiere? That's all I've used it for so far.

I realize now, that I could keep the animation by created the colored instances of Just the checkboxes in separate comps.
So Main animation is precomposed, then the checkboxes are the only things that require updates.

I'd still like to know if there is a good way to do this though, because if I had something more complex than a checkbox to animation then this method would still be time consuming. I like to keep things cheap for my clients. If you're freelance and you don't mind spending more time on something, while still charging the same amount, that's on you. But I work for a company. They don't appreciate when I spend more time on something without billing the client. (sorry, I just hate it when people say things like, "it doesn't take that long," or, "it's really not that hard." Because doing something that Only takes 10 seconds, for 30 layers, 30 times a day costs 2.5 hours. Depending on the project, that's anywhere between $250 and $500! And yeah, generally I'm pretty good at estimating those things in my quote, but the unexpected amounts hurt.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]