Re: Color space problems again

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Somers
Re: Color space problems again
on Oct 18, 2018 at 6:50:20 am

Thank you for the screenshot Pierre,

Well that's interesting. Looking into this and based on how Adobe has traditionally handled non-color-managed operations, that preference only does the following:
1) Use 2.4 gamma for certain blend operations.
2) Gamma encode linear sources to 2.4 even when color management is off.

But I think I can also safely assume that switching the preference between 2.2 and 2.4 will have NO EFFECT on the appearance or rendering of outputs (except perhaps a render to EXR).

Prior to that feature, with color management off, AE would use a gamma encoding for blends (unless "use gamma 1.0 for blends" was checked), and the display data would just be sent to the monitor, which typically would be an sRGB monitor with a ~2.2 gamma.

While I can't test this I have to assume that if you switch this to "assume 2.4", the displayed image will not change, and thus if using that same sRGB monitor, you will still be seeing images with a 2.2 display gamma, not 2.4

With color management OFF, you need to physically adjust your monitor to a 2.4 gamma to see 2.4 gamma, regardless of how that preference is set. Also, output modules work the same as if "preserve RGB" was checked with CM ON.

With color management ON, you can simulate different output devices, such as you can emulate a 2.4 gamma display on your standard sRGB 2.2 gamma display. Also, the output module can convert to a different space/gamma unless "preserve RGB" is checked.

If you use AE with color management off AND "blend using gamma 1.0", then the only thing I expect that preference to do is convert linear material to the selected gamma, which you would previously do by using the Profile Converter effect or Levels with a gamma adjustment.

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
https://www.GeneralTitles.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]