ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video Copilot Orb accidentally solves a huge problem in AE's 3D compositing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Blaise Douros
Video Copilot Orb accidentally solves a huge problem in AE's 3D compositing
on Sep 24, 2018 at 4:38:55 pm

This isn't so much of a request for help as it is a reaction to what VC has (maybe without realizing it) done with their new free Orb plugin. My mind is kind of blown, so you can all tell me to calm down if you want, or if you all realized this without me pointing it out.

So, when building a 3D environment in AE, you have to rely on a number of tricks to create any kind of actual background environment--either linking to C4D, or placing a bunch of textured solids around the scene to create the illusion of physical surroundings.

Orb does two things: first, you can map textures to the outside of a sphere to create a planet. This is cool.

But more importantly, you can increase the size of the sphere, and toggle it to display the interior of the sphere. This is where things get useful--use a 360˚ environment map photo texture on the inside of the sphere, and BOOM. You have a 360˚ environmental backdrop, also sometimes called a skybox. Instantly. Follows your camera, reacts to lighting. And it's FAST; render times are super reasonable.

Am I the only one thinking that this could be incredibly useful for building scenes? And for FREE? Man.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]