ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Re: Ae Render "Failures"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ryan Thompson
Re: Ae Render "Failures"
on Mar 20, 2017 at 2:24:19 pm

Hurray! I found the answer. Bear with me while I attempt to explain what is going on. It ended up being a scaling issue with the 3D models inside of E3D. I am including an image so it will be easier to understand. The smaller token (the one on the right) is a new model.

Top Panel: In this image there are two tokens. The token with the arrow pointing to it is the original model as created by the 3D modeler in my department. When importing and leaving the scale at 100%and turning on "normalize size" it is massive.

Bottom Panel: When you turn off "normalize size" (for the original token model), you can see that the scale becomes tiny.

The issue was the scale of the original model. I did not think anything of this when originally creating my scene since 3D models are vector based objects. I just shrunk the "normalized size" down to 4%. Conversely, the "non-normalized size" would have to be scaled up past 250% to be in scale with everything else (not shown) in my scene.

And this was the problem. Ae was using all of my vRAM attempting to deal with the scale of the tokens for some reason. I went back to my modeler and had him export the tokens again. First he upscaled the object 261%, which put it at 100% (non-normalized size) in my E3D scene. He then used a self-made script to reset all aspects of the object to zero, and exported a new .obj for me. This reset the token to a perfect 100% for me.

I ran a series of renders over the weekend and none of them "failed". My RAM sat at around 50% usage (where it should be) and the RAM cleared after each shot rendered (like it should). So there you go. When working with E3D, keep an eye on the model sizes in your shots, they can kill your vRAM and cause you to have "failed" renders.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]