ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Re: Are my masks in separate adjustment layers canceling each other out?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Are my masks in separate adjustment layers canceling each other out?
on Apr 10, 2013 at 9:30:06 pm

There are some philsophical differences between working on stills in Ps and full motion video in Ae.

[Seth Marshall] "Often I need to stabilize camera shake from wind or something. I assume I just stabilize one layer, apply, then copy/paste the transform info into the other layers (whether it be duplicated layer or adjustment layer)."

After Effects has something Photoshop doesn't -- precomps [link].

If you stabilized a piece of footage then precomped it, you'd be able to reuse the precomp without having your machine trying to re-render the stabilization on every layer.

Adjustment layers and masks are fine ways to affect the look of the image, but they're not ideal solutions for video because you have to animate the masks to match the video.

Adjustments to video tend to be procedural first, whenever possible, and then based on manual masks afterwards.

In Photoshop, it's not a big deal to paint a layer mask over, say, a field or a group of trees -- it's just a single image. In After Effects, where your source may be a moving camera pan, you might be better off using a keys based on specific hues and tints of green to isolate the field and trees, so you wouldn't have to painstakingly animate your mask to compensate for the moving camera.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]