ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Re: AE CS6 3D camera tracker will not track distant objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: AE CS6 3D camera tracker will not track distant objects
on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:28:49 am

Firstly, the issue has to do with the analysis stage rather than the solve - apologies if I seem to be pedantic but I believe that we should try to be as precise as possible, to prevent ambiguity.

There are two primary issues with AE's cam solver -
1) inability to allow the user to define areas of interest prior to the analysis stage

2) lack of a productive, post-solve procedure to allow for concrete improvements to be made for less-than-desired solves. there are of course a few ways to improve a solve should the tracking engine be allowed a second go at the tracking issue

Perhaps the 3D came tracking algorithm scans from bottom to top and there is a limited number of track points per solve - to conserve RAM usage. Lotsa perhaps but it is obvious that the algorithm needs to allow itself or the user to solve based on a wider range of points along, especially within the z-axis.

You'll do us all a favor if you could file a Bug Report to the AE Team. Please include your AEP and footage so that they have better leverage with which to analyse the prevalent issues.

Bug and Feature Requests to the AE Team can be posted here - https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.

Lastly, the blue mountains can be easily tracked with mocha. A search spline similar to what I've used, in the image below, provides for a solid track. Just remember to switch on Translation & Scale and switch off all other tracking variables, ie rotation, shear and perspective and you should be able to come up with a solid track. You will even be able to export a 4-point, Corner Pin tracking data into AE to meet your needs.

I am hopeful that you can see the merits to having more than one tool at your disposal. What works best differs according to the issue on hand.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]