FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: How to get the most from a 40GbE NAS in a Mac (Win10 Parallels) environment.?

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: How to get the most from a 40GbE NAS in a Mac (Win10 Parallels) environment.?
on Dec 24, 2017 at 4:57:42 pm

Hi -
this is part 2 of my comments -
in your last paragraph, you write -
"So digging round the forums I'm now second guessing myself whether I'm over capitalising the Synology 'consumer gear' by wanting 40GbE speeds out of a non FC and non PCIe solution, and whether I should in fact be looking at a some of the hardcore media streaming stuff like Avid, or maybe even a small enterprise box like the EMC Isilon's for example, or despite my earlier comments, a small SAN. "

REPLY - your Synology RS18017xs+ will outperform an AVID ISIS or AVID Nexis Pro, and is dramatically more expandable. The AVID Nexis Pro uses a single Myricom 10G SFP+ card inside it to connect to a switch like a Dell N2404 (which is a 10G uplink but a 1G switch to client) or a cheap Netgear 10G switch.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1153058-REG/avid_7080_30085_00_dell_...
But since you have the 40G bug up your butt, and AVID does not support 40G, your most realistic bet is a
Mellanox XS1012, which is a "TOR" (top of rack) 40 gig uplink that you can have 48 SFP+ breakouts (kind of sloppy but it will work).
http://www.mellanox.com/page/products_dyn?product_family=163
this is really designed to "break out" into the SFP+ ports of 10G switches like the Netgear 10G series, to allow for a 40G connection on the server, but 10 G out to multiple clients (you have 20 Mac clients).
In my opinion, Mellanox really owns this market right now. Certainly you can go with a deadly expensive
Cisco Catalyst 6500 series switch, but this will cost a fortune. If you really don't want Mellanox, you can certainly look at Arista Networks, that is a much more friendly company to work with than Cisco.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]