DIY SAN for Hyper-V Cluster

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index

Timothy Karaiskos
DIY SAN for Hyper-V Cluster
on Nov 21, 2016 at 11:49:00 am

Hi all,
I'm trying to build my first Hyper-V cluster for internal use and although I've read through some very good articles, I would like to some feedback on our particular setup.
So far I've only gone as far as Hyper-V replication between two of our hypervisors, but never a cluster.
We tried have a look at the off-the-shelf SAN solutions, but at $15K - $20K, they are out of our reach.
So this is my attempt to make one of our own using less expensive materials.

The hypervisors shown in the diagram below, we already have in our inventory. We'll only need to buy some 10GbE NICs for them.
I thought we'd use two mirrored servers for the SAN because, without SAS drives, I couldn't have a RAID array that's controlled by 2 redundant controllers (like they have in commercial SAN enclosures).
The SAN will have some SSDs and some spinning disks for the different types of storage tiers required by our VMs.

This is my initial diagram based on my research.

My unanswered questions so far are all concerning the SAN.
1. What OS and software should I use on the SAN?
Is Windows Server 2012 R2 capable of serving the needs of a SAN device and present its arrays to the nodes?
Can it do block-level synchronization natively or using software?
2. What storage presentation technology should I use? ie iSCSI, CSV, MPIO
I need to read up more on these technologies and how they interact with each other.
3. Is my connectivity setup between nodes and SANs correct? Will that work with this setup?

I'll create another diagram of the internal setup of each of the SANs, but I'd like to get the fundamentals ready first.

Thank you for your time.
Tim

Posts Index 

Current Message Thread:
  • DIY SAN for Hyper-V Cluster by Timothy Karaiskos on Nov 21, 2016 at 11:49:00 am

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]