Re: Small video post production solutions

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Eric Hansen
Re: Small video post production solutions
on Dec 5, 2012 at 8:10:37 am

hey Stephen

Alex and Bob can definitely line you out with some great options, but i wanted to address your "90MB/s" comment.

this is a common thing i hear from my clients. the Drobo (or any other external device), may be able to do 90MB/s, and ProResHQ is 25-30MB/s, so that means i should be able to share to 3 edit systems editing ProResHQ, right?

NO

90MB/s is a single stream of continuous data where the individual drives aren't being asked to access more than a single large file. if you have 3 computers, the system all of a sudden is asked to access 3 different files at the same time, causing the drives to search all over their platters for those 3 individual files. they will find them, but not with enough quickness to supply 90MB/s total, and certainly not in real-time.

this is where RAIDs with massive speeds come into play. you need a system that's fast enough to access all this media, no matter where it's scattered on the array, and then supply it to the clients fast enough to support real-time editing requirements on each workstation. Drobo can't do this. it has a very high overhead for its complex proprietary RAID scheme. it's a storage and archive appliance. not a working volume. even the smallest shared storage systems i build have a burst rate of 600MB/s to handle just a few clients. but even storage with fast burst rates aren't enough. many of the vendors here spend a lot of R&D time tweaking drivers and firmware to increase the number of real-time streams supported, even if this means dropping the burst rate.

so no, a Drobo can't handle this use because that's not what it's designed for.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]