FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: ATTO R680 + SOHOTANK ST8-U5 + Seagate ST33000651AS = ISSUES!

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jacob Altman
Re: ATTO R680 + SOHOTANK ST8-U5 + Seagate ST33000651AS = ISSUES!
on Oct 21, 2011 at 4:48:57 am

I've been bitten by the Seagates too. Avoid them like the plague. Bob is completely right that the issue will prob be in large part to do with time-out and therefore phantom errors being sent to the controller, which proceeds to degrade the raid set.

What ATTO does not publicise is that there is a CLI setting that can alter the command timeout on the R380/R680 so it will wait around much longer for the interupts for an I/O. This is pure magic as you can set it to 60 or 90 seconds for example and avoid the seagate issues while still maintaining the ability of the controller to degrade the raid set when a drive has truly died.

SONNET use the ATTO card in their FUSION products, and the command is documented (as well as a lot of other interesting info) in their manual which can be downloaded here: http://www.sonnettech.com/support/downloads/manuals/config_tool_utilities_u...

Search within that document for raidcommandtimeout and you'll know what you need to do.

I also find that manual is a far better document to give clients as all the screenshots are on mac and far better laid out than the standard ATTO manuals.

Good luck, this fixed the issue for me, but AVOID THOSE SEAGATE DRIVES!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]