FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: ATTO R680 + SOHOTANK ST8-U5 + Seagate ST33000651AS = ISSUES!

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John Davidson
Re: ATTO R680 + SOHOTANK ST8-U5 + Seagate ST33000651AS = ISSUES!
on Aug 8, 2011 at 7:03:04 pm

Probably 90% of people on the cow are using desktop drives in their RAIDs, including myself - so don't beat yourself up too much. I'd say a bigger issue is that you're using Seagate drives. ST33000651AS is the new 3TB drive, right? I've been bitten by Seagate before - many times - especially with newer/larger drives that are not as well proven. About 3 years ago I ran into nothing but trouble with their 1.5tb drives in a ProAvio array. The drives had a lag and all kinds of fun little errors that Seagate refused to acknowledge for quite a while. I ended up shipping them back and replacing with 1TB WD Caviar Black drives, which are still rocking out in RAID5 to this day.

I'm sure others can list just as many problems with Hitachi and WD, but there are many of us here who avoid Seagate. I've just seen too many of those drives die. Your array should be just fine, even with Deskstars or Caviar Blacks. The Seagate's are where I'd look for trouble. You may have had your heart set on all those Terabytes in an affordable array - but better to get something a little smaller and more proven and save yourself some grief.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]