PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: Varicam2700 vs H

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

chris magid
Re: Varicam2700 vs H
on Mar 18, 2011 at 5:48:23 pm

Bruce,

We have gotten into the habit of running with dynamic level set to maximum 500%. Do you think this is introducing noise into the image compared to a 300% dynamic level?

I think you are on to the same general idea we have. That it is possible to set the H (and other cameras) in way that may produce nice looking noise free results when monitored uncompressed on the set but in reality challenge the codec and pushes it too resulting in noise in the recorded image and certainly after grading.

The 2700 does not have a log mode that I am aware of but moving to full 1280x720 recording versus the H's kludge to get there should help along with the 10 bit AVC-INTRA at 100 Mb/s. My understanding is that even though taped based DVC PRO HD records at 100 Mb/s the payload of 720p recorded via Varicam is really around 40 Mb/s. So it the 2700 may be a big improvement.

Not to diminish the H. It really is a great camera. Just has been getting a little noisy in some of the situations we put it in and now that we are finishing to 1080i / 1080p rather than SD we see a little more of it.

So we will test out some of your advice including the gamma adjustment once we get our 2700 in house.

Chris Magid
RTVF

chris magid
chris@gortvf,com
Renaissance Television & Film
http://www.gortvf.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]