PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: Varicam2700 vs H

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bruce Greene
Re: Varicam2700 vs H
on Mar 18, 2011 at 4:38:49 pm

Hi Chris,

I don't have experience with the 2700 so I can't comment on that.

I do however shoot filmrec at the lowest dynamic level I can get away with so that the least correction is necessary in color grading to minimize banding from the 8 bit recording. I do allow clipping in the original photography when I feel it's something that will probably be clipped in color grading anyway.

Another approach, that I haven't yet tried, would be to shoot with the gamma setting at .35 instead of .45 (normal gamma). This should theoretically allow more bits recording the meat of your image instead of clustering them all in the highlights. In color grading, reverse the gamma to make the image look normal. The disadvantage is that unless you have a monitor LUT to correct on set, you'll be looking at images that seem too light on the monitor while shooting.

Does the 2700 have a "log" mode of recording while monitoring without the washed out image? If so it might improve the image quality a bit. This is essentially the same approach as I've mentioned above :)

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.brucealangreene.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]