PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NanoFlash Review

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff Regan
Re: NanoFlash Review
on May 9, 2010 at 2:59:50 pm

Ernie,

The bit rate of an MPEG2 codec is hard to compare to an MPEG4(h.264) codec. The latter is more efficient, some would say twice as efficient at a given bit rate. It's not that straightforward, depends on frame structure, color space. AVC-Intra 50 is considered to be similar in quality to DVCPRO HD at half the bit rate. AVC-Intra 100 is 100Mbps and there is no other in-board, one-piece camera, 10-bit, full sample codec available except for the Sony 9000 HDCAM SR camcorder.

The other thing a high bit rate can't change is the difference in 8-bit vs. 10-bit color depth. AVC-Intra 100 has 4X more shades of gray than any 8-bit format.

Regarding P2, it is not a format, just a memory medium. We know that it is scalable, since it has been used with multiple codecs. Panasonic will be offering AVC-Ultra, which should offer higher bit rates to handle 4:4:4 color space and 3D recording, using P2 cards.
P2 cards have a throughput of 1200Mbps, are very durable and reliable. Those who use P2 work flow know it is pretty bullet proof.

My point about changing cameras to a P2 model, such as HPX2000, is that you could have sold the 900 for a price similar to a used 2000, taken the money spent on nanoFlash and applied it to P2 cards--but this only makes sense if you don't have clients who demand tape.

I agree that nanoFlash is a great option for original Varicam owners and F900 owners, and of course HDX900 owners who still need to deliver tape as well. I just think an HPX2000 with Intra is a better solution.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]