PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NanoFlash Review

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff Regan
Re: NanoFlash Review
on May 9, 2010 at 3:05:53 am

Ernie,

I agree with most of what you've posted, but a couple of things are worth mentioning:

FireStore FS100 can be powered off of the D-Tap or Hirose DC connector on the camera, same as nano.(But, yes, I prefer the nano.)

Internal P2 recording is the best choice if you aren't trying to extend the life of a legacy tape based camera because of choice of codecs, including 10-bit AVC-Intra, five card capacity, write protect switches on the cards, myriad of hardware and software support including the new PCD2 P2 reader at $350 and safety/security/reliability of internal recording.

Yes, Quicktime .mov recording can be convenient, but not all NLE's work easily with QT files. If you use .mxf instead, it's like native P2 files and most NLE's support DVCPRO HD and even Intra now.

The cards cost less, but for the price a used HDX900 + nanoFlash, you could buy a used or B-stock HPX2000, many of which have Intra boards, and have some money left for a couple of P2 cards. I could have sold my 900 for a used 2000 and the cost of a nanoFlash would have paid for the P2 cards, except I bought the 2700 instead. The 2000 has more features than a 900 as well, even without the Intra board.

I'm assuming that you still have clients asking for tape, which makes keeping the 900 a bit longer worthwhile.

I much prefer the internal P2 approach and find the work flow to be no problem for me or my clients most of the time--the exceptions being those who are new to AVC-Intra 100, usually.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]