PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

NanoFlash Review

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ernie Santella
NanoFlash Review
on May 8, 2010 at 3:30:34 pm

I recently got a Convergence NanoFlash for my aging HDX900. Love it. Works flawlessly. I've had no issues at all on any shoots.

http://www.convergent-design.com/Products/nanoFlash/tabid/1666/Default.aspx

I have a client that needed my footage on files (Can't use DVCProHD tape) So, I bought the Nano. I was considering getting a Focus FS100, but the Nano made way more sense. It uses CF cards, way smaller, better image quality with HD-SDI and more features. Plus, after you figure in the FS100 and a bunch of batteries for location shooting, the cost goes up fast. I power the Nano off a AB Dtap. Doesn't use that much power and goes to sleep mode automatically which is cool.

Another plus is that CF cards are way cheaper than P2 media and easier to download to HD for safe archive at the end of the day or during the day as you don't have to use the camera or an expensive reader for the P2 cards.

I also picked up an Nexto Extreme ND2700 500GB HD ($300) which is a CF card storage device. It does fast auto-copy from CF to HD (with verification). Then at night, I just save that off to another HD for dual backup. (Has eSATA for really fast transfers!

http://www.nextodiusa.com/product_info.asp?nexto_product=1

The image quality at the high bit rates is worth every penny. And the time-lapse feature works great too. Unlike the HDX900's tape timelapse, the Nano gives you a edit-ready finished time-lapse file vs. the 900's short record which has to be edited in post.

It's built very solid with solid connections/buttons vs. worrying about jarring the HD in the FS100 or its flimsy FW400 cable, which guys have posted is an issue.

And no, I don't work for Nano or anything, just wanted to post my field test. This is perfect for us with Varicams or HDX900's.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]