PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: New Products

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tom Kaufman
Re: New Products
on Feb 27, 2009 at 4:35:59 pm

Helmut,

You raise some valid points here. And I don't mean to say that P2 has no place in the grand scheme of things. With example you mentioned, I can see P2 working well for that producer. I did a P2 shoot over the summer that was much like what you're describing.

But in your example, who is doing the data wrangling? If it's the producer, does s/he have enough hands on deck to allow her/him the time to load P2 cards onto a hard drive? And if the answer is yes, would that producer have saved money by shooting tape and not needing as much help on set?

As to savings, I'm not sure that the amount of money you save by not having to use tape at the front end of the shoot is more than the amount you'll have to pay in storage at the back end.

I have no doubt that, someday, we will all be shooting direct to cards/disks, it makes sense this will happen. Bu the lack of standardization means the market will have to shake out some formats while others survive. As an owner of Panasonic products, I have a vested interest in their survival. That's why I'm disturbed by their totally tapeless line-up of cameras.

Just one camera guy's opinion, of course!

Tom

http://www.thomaskaufman.com

Tom Kaufman,
DP

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]