PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: New Products

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ethan Sigman
Re: New Products
on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:50:41 am

ok, my last one on this one. i think we agree much more than we diagree. opposite sides, but close to the middle-in fact, we can team up and be "ideal"- let me know if your in the big apple;)

i would summarize my argument by saying that while p2 is expensive, it is empowering in new and exciting ways and creates many subtle time and cost savings that make it actually cheaper than it appears when applied to a volume of work. I think panasonic attempted to address both your combo cam complaint and the field offload complaint when they gave you the "gear" and the "110". the gear will attach to your camera (albeit, perhaps awkwardly) make it a combo cam that records intra, and simultaneously lets you use your deck to play your archive through the gear to get meta on your legacy footage. it also does byte for byte offload verification. the 110 has 6 p2 slots that do byte for byte verified, automated, field offloads, will edit and hook up to a satellite or drives. don't forget the p2 store, the belt worn verified 60gig drive- though i don't own any...

I don't think Panasonic believes tape is "going away".... they will sell parts for their decks so they can run as long as there is call for them to justify repair and it seems they believe it will live on in the rental market for a long time. i just don't expect them sell the two cams side by side with great success and the reality is that it is cheaper to make the solid state cam. car manufacturers don't sell the old model anymore either, it just sort of seems reasonable, though perhaps not required. tape transports are high precision tolerances, they cost a lot to manufacture and are prone to break. not to mention to cost of tape stock. i would point out that the original varicam sold for 70 grand, plus the cost of the deck which i might be overestimating somewhat but, regardless, it pushed the price of the camera toward 100k, and it had a 1 year warranty. a new 2700 lists for 40k and comes with a 5 year warranty because solid state is seriously reliable. consider the cost of ownership with no repair costs ammortized over 5 years. to me it is like when i got a digital still camera, even the first one that shot to the 1.44 mb floppy disks. it only fit a couple pics, disks weren't that cheap, had to be backed up etc, etc, but you could delete your bad ones, offload the good ones, and re-use the disks and i shot my face off with what felt like no marginal operating costs compared film. it didn't look like film but shooting more pictures for less money was the way to shoot more overall.

I agree tape is great for some things and p2 is a compromise in some ways also, i just argue that it saves you time and money too and the features in the "pros" category of p2 are the features that have more "mojo" with me, making the "cons" a worthy price. cheers, catch you on the next one.

Ethan

http://www.EZSproductions.com
http://www.productionmeeting.com/profile/EthanSigman

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]