PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: BMD Hyperdeck, AJA Ki Pro, SoundDesign Pix or AtomOS Samurai?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Matt Townley
Re: BMD Hyperdeck, AJA Ki Pro, SoundDesign Pix or AtomOS Samurai?
on Sep 1, 2013 at 8:51:04 pm

I have a Pix240 and shoot with an AF100 somewhat frequently, using the two together almost exactly as you have described.

• Over SDI, yes, the timecode can sync up from the camera to the Pix and match.
  • Yes, the camera can trigger the Pix to start/stop recording. The Pix has a menu setting for this and has an option for the AF100 that makes it work seamlessly.
  • File naming system is good, but not perfect. Overall much better than the AF100. You can customize several settings prior to a shoot and then have it auto-advance certain parameters. You can even plug in an external USB keyboard for typing which is handy on cart based or studio setups for fast entry.

I really like this setup using the Pix as my "primary" record device and having the AVCHD files on SD card as a backup with matching timecode. The Pix also makes a pretty good on-camera monitor with focus assist and really big (read: easy to see) audio metering. It's a bit heavier and bulky compared to a TV Logic or Small HD monitor, but works well if you don't had a vid tech.

I've never used a Samurai and only used a Hyperdeck once or twice, so I can't really speak to them much other than to say the Hyperdeck works well for what you pay. That to say it doesn't have full size SDI inputs, has few I/O options, has limited settings and can't be configured on the fly easily. But it's also a LOT cheaper than some of these options and still records a great picture.

Just my 2c.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]