PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: Need second camera for shoot with AG-AC130 - GH2 vs AF100?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jonathan Frank
Re: Need second camera for shoot with AG-AC130 - GH2 vs AF100?
on Apr 17, 2012 at 2:18:37 pm

First off, to extol the virtues of the camera let me start off by saying that I ended up buying a second one instead of renting the AF100 - which then led to my buying a third one for a three camera shoot a few weeks ago. Needless to say I love it/them. I've been using one almost every day shooting interviews in a variety of lighting situations or stage productions and have encountered very few instances where I haven't been happy.

I can't speak on the speed of the auto-focus as I never use it. I find that the depth of field is good enough on most stage shows that it stays sharp when moving from end to end of the stage and the moderate up/down stage moments. The only times I have had a problem with things going out of focus are when the lighting is really REALLY low (to the point where I've pumped the gain up to 6...and still have to have the iris fully open). But if a stage show is adequately lit, I am usually in the area of f5 -f8 and things stay sharp (having an 'issue' with that now, actually...where an 'actress of a certain age' is not liking the sharpness and HD...but that's another issue). Given how well things stay in focus, I don't want to use auto focus and have things pulse at inopportune moments.

As an aside...I second guessed myself in one concert shoot (luckily had another camera on that one as well). Was using a monitor that the salesperson swore was adequate for using as a focus assist even though the resolution wasn't as sharp as the LCD on the camera. Don't ever believe that. Your eye will get tricked by the change in sharpness and you will end up second guessing the focus, tweaking it and discovering you were right on the nose to begin with (both the second camera man and I had same reaction). I returned them and bought the monitors I should have in the first place.

As for battery life...I've only used external power once, and really didn't need to. The batteries last 3:15 when recording (more on playback mode) and so far seem true to the readout. I've only bought Panasonic batteries as I hear the 'generic' ones aren't accurate in their 'time left' readings.

I bring along two batteries per camera per shoot and have not had to swap out for a second battery yet.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]