PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: hmc150, final cut express 4 and 2.8GHz (intel duo core)iMac

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Masud Haq
Re: hmc150, final cut express 4 and 2.8GHz (intel duo core)iMac
on Dec 19, 2008 at 4:43:53 am

I tried the 720 modes on the AG-HMC150. Here are the results. In FCE 4.01 I have set Easy Setup to be AIC 720p30 for of the following.

With PH 720/60p record mode on the camera, FCE imports the clips and the sound perfectly and in sync. There is none of the jerky-ness in the first few seconds (or anywhere in the clip) that I saw in the 1080/30p record mode. No green frames either that I saw in the first few seconds of 1080/30p clips.

With PH 720/30p record mode on the camera, FCE will play the clip in the log and transfer window fine, but when ingested and transcoded into AIC the video plays twice as fast and the duration of the clip is half as long. The sound, however, plays at normal speed so the AIC clip has only the first half of the original sound track. Naturally video and sound are out of sync. This issue has already been reported in other posts and in other forums. In this mode there is no jerky-ness or green frames.

Here is some additional information. When the PH1080/30p recorded clips are transcoded to AIC, the data rate ranged from 12.5 to 15 Mbps. With the PH720/60p clips I am getting between 9 and 10 Mbps on the transcoded AIC. So per pixel I am getting about 50% better data rate on 720 than 1080. The unfortunate thing is that the recorded data rate in both averages about 21Mbps, so a lot is lost when transcoding to AIC.

Stepping up to FCP with ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 (HQ) instead of AIC should let us take advantage of the additional recorded data rate. Additionally FCP should also handle the 24p modes (PH1080/24p and PH720/24p) natively - I did not even bother testing these on FCE. From what I have seen in other forum posts, the speed issue with 720/30p is still there in FCP - until a future fix/update by apple.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]