PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: Panasonic HVX200 - BEST CHOICE FOR $3,000?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Eric McCarthy
Re: Panasonic HVX200 - BEST CHOICE FOR $3,000?
on Nov 17, 2012 at 3:16:03 am

Actually, HVX200 in very good condition, with P2 cards can be had on eBay for $700. Here is a link to an auction that just closed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130802686220?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984...

I know this because I have two of these cameras, and a lot of gear to go with them (DOF adapter, P2 Store, FS-100). I follow the price as a habit.

Despite the fact that the price of the camera has gone down, I think that this camera has a lot of life. In a controlled lighting situation, with good lenses, it delivers a look that will satisfy most of my commercial clients.

As an independent producer working on mostly web destined content, I do a lot of green screen, and staged video in the studio, and the HVX delivers a great image under proper lighting. Outside of the studio, the HVX is well built and capable, but I had to upgrade to an AF100. I appreciate the form factor of the HVX, even if it have a useless miniDV build (SD only,really?), I appreciate that I can now get cheap p2 (which is built to last).

Unless you are working at a higher commercial level, I think it is a great, cheap camera. When you get the client that can pay you, get an AF100, or one of the newer Sony cams (but if you were in that range, you wouldn't be asking about the HVX). About 18 months ago, I bought a 5d MarkII because clients asked for it. I don't really like it as a shooter, but it is "all the rage" right now, so I can make money with it. I plan on upgrading to a 4K cam/RED when I can land a few big fish.

Good luck in your decision.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]