PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: Documentary Workflow: HPX170 + Canon 5D

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: Documentary Workflow: HPX170 + Canon 5D
on Feb 5, 2011 at 8:09:22 am

[Andrew Rubin] "(1) if you don't have to worry about space on P2 cards, would it be preferable to shoot on 1080?"

Absolutely. More resolution.

[Andrew Rubin] "We want 24 fps/ 23.98 (what we shot for the footage we have thus far). We did tests on the HPX170 at 1080i/24p and 1080i/24pA."

Use 24pA. That is the setting that will allow the removal of pulldown to get you to 23.98 when you ingest. Since that is your goal...use that. Regular 24p is meant to have the film look, but still run at 29.97, since many people have that deliverable, but want the film look.

[Andrew Rubin] "The 1080i/24p looked terrible, had the interlaced like horizontal distortion and wound up as 29.97"

That's interlacing, which doesn't look good on a computer monitor, but looks fine on a broadcast monitor or HDTV. Deliver that format and things will look fine. BUT, you don't want 29.97, you want 23.98...so use 24pA.

[Andrew Rubin] "However, we keep getting warned about using the 24pA. So far nobody can give us a clear warning as to "why?""

I'd like to know too. Because I have never heard warnings about this, except for people using that setting, but wanting 29.97. It is intended for the pulldown to be removed, so if you shoot that format, you must remove it and work at 23.98...which is what you want.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]