PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: Documentary Workflow: HPX170 + Canon 5D

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Rubin
Re: Documentary Workflow: HPX170 + Canon 5D
on Feb 5, 2011 at 3:49:42 am

Hello Shane - thanks so much for the prompt reply and helpful information.

I hope you don't mind some followup questions:

(1) if you don't have to worry about space on P2 cards, would it be preferable to shoot on 1080?

(2) "What would be the recommended shooting format on the HPX170?"

[Shane Ross] Well, if shooting HD, you have one format only...DVCPRO HD. FRAME RATE? That's determined by your final deliverable, the look you want to have for the show, record times for the cards...all that.

---> apologies, mistyped, I am looking for an answer on frame rate, not format. We want 24 fps/ 23.98 (what we shot for the footage we have thus far). We did tests on the HPX170 at 1080i/24p and 1080i/24pA. The 1080i/24p looked terrible, had the interlaced like horizontal distortion and wound up as 29.97 and we don't want varying frame rates.

The 1080i/24pA I assume went through an advanced pulldown during the transfer from the P2 card reader into final cut from Log & Transfer. It came out without distortion at 23.98. However, we keep getting warned about using the 24pA. So far nobody can give us a clear warning as to "why?".

What's the fuss all about? Why would we not want to use 24pA or would it work fine and nothing to worry about?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]