PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Camera + Lens Recommendations?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Wright
Camera + Lens Recommendations?
on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:31:51 pm

I'm looking to invest in two HD cameras by the end of the year, and I'm doing some very early research into what's available. I've owned a Canon GL2 for 8 years but have since primarily used HVX200s during college and various ENG cameras for sports/events video and venues I've worked at. I've become very familiar with the P2 workflow and I'd like to stick with Panasonic Cameras, but I'm open to other options too (such as the upcoming Sony PMW350k XDCAM?).

These cameras will primarily be used for event video with available light (theatre productions, weddings, receptions), with some studio work down the road. I'm hoping to see an HPX500A this year – I think I've ruled out the HPX300 for its 1/3" chips and the CMOS sensor. For available light, the 2/3" CCD in the HPX500 is more important than native 1080p resolution, though I think I would be frustrated with the small B/W viewfinder and I'd like AVC-Intra, as I think it may be the next big format. Thus, hoping for the HPX500A or a new model altogether. Hopefully at NAB this year?

While playing "wait and see" with the cameras, I need some help picking a lens (lets assume I'm going with a 2/3" camera). I would like servo zoom and focus on a lens with decent range, though I fear it will be too costly. My budget is not unlimited but I understand the value in investing in good glass. I would prefer to start with an HPX500 with a quality lens and an HVX200 as a "B" camera for now, than two HPX500s with glass that I'll want to replace sooner than later.

With all that in mind, could you all provide some suggestions? I'd appreciate it!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]