PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: Quality of HVX / HPX in 24p vs HMC150 in 1080

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Trevor Ward
Re: Quality of HVX / HPX in 24p vs HMC150 in 1080
on Dec 28, 2009 at 11:49:58 pm

I can answer that last question. 1440x1080 doesn't use square pixels. It's pixels are wider than square, so each pixel is covering more ground. What that means is that you're not really getting 1920 lines of resolution. The codec compensates for this and does some math so that it doesn't have to record as much information. So, if you're image is in the shape of a football field, both resolutions are recording the length of the football field. The 1920 records 1920 small slices of the field. The 1440 records 1440 slightly bigger slices of the field.

The HPX 500 and HVX 200 do this.

Overall, all these cameras are going to have a great image when looking at a well lit image. I've seen the local news channels shooting with 150's. Where they start to separate from each other is in optics and latitude. The smaller chip cameras will not give you as big of a range going from highlights to blacks. They are noticeable different. Also, the optics for the bigger cameras are much better and give you a better depth of field and cleaner image.

I own a 150 and it has a super wide lens and the images look great. However, I'm a bit disappointed with the depth of field that I'm able to get.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]