PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: What is the best editing system for Panasonic P2 footage

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Eric Ruff
Re: What is the best editing system for Panasonic P2 footage
on Nov 4, 2009 at 7:51:32 pm

May I suggest you take a look at Media 100. It also handles P2 format natively. You can get a free 14 trial version here:

http://www.borisfx.com/login/m100_reg_form.php?action=Media100v125

I do not claim to be an authority here, I can just pass on my experience. I have actually been out of video editing for almost 10 years. Way back then, I did an hour long video for our company that we show to prospective clients about 4-5 times each day, saving us about 4-5 man hours each day that would have been devoted to an explanation of our services. People almost uniformly compliment us on the video and say it was useful. I did it all on Media 100. That program was so easy to use, so responsive. Media 100 never got in the way. It was quick. That translated to meaning I felt free to experiment, because I lost little time making adjustments "just to see if that might look or sound a little better." I am now getting back into video editing. Over the intervening years I tried to get into Final Cut Pro which I purchased and though would be the but could never warm up to it. No offense to anyone, but I always felt that Media 100 had an "Apple" feel and that FCP had a "PC" feel to it, even though it is an Apple product and Media 100 is not. I am sure others have their own opinions and responses to these programs.

Now, as I said I am getting back into video. I did upgrade my FCP to the latest version, but mostly to get a copy of "Color" which ships with FCP. I am throwing my chips in again with Media 100, which is likley even better than it used to be.

Now, some caveats. Media 100 is no longer the big guy on the block as it was 10 years ago (or at least head to head with Avid for the lead), having suffered through several corporate handoffs. Currently Media 100 is with Boris which seems to be supporting it well. The program is being continually updated. There is, however, very little training assistance available. It comes with a huge .pdf manual which I will wade through. The Media 100 forum is great and there are a few instructional tutorial videos available from Media 100 website. Tech support is friendly and excellent. Check out the Media 100 forum here at Creative Cow. If you do, you will find many people who own both FCP and Media 100, but, having a choice, do almost all their work in Media 100, not FCP. If, God forbid, for any reason Media 100 goes out of business, I think I can essentially move all my projects to FCP and trudge on. Good luck with your choice.

My new editing suite is almost complete, still waiting for delivery of the camera and disk array. If any one is interested, it will be a Mac Pro 2.9 GZ Quad Core Xeon, 16G ram, with a Solid State 160 G boot drive (!) and 2, 2T hard drives, a 4 T G-Raid array, Pana. HPX-170 with Firestore, 30" Apple monitor, Media 100 Suite, AJA KONA LHi card to capture legacy S video footage, Adobe CS4 Master Collection, FCP Studio. Still trying to decide on a montior solution, but it looks like it will be a whole lot of fun.

-Eric

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]