PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: large quantity Backup in the field

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: large quantity Backup in the field
on Oct 16, 2009 at 4:23:22 pm

It wholly depends on your LTO system and it's interface. I have become pretty familiar with the Cache-A prime cache. It is similar to backing up to a drive, but also very different. I would still recommend getting a cheap two drive swappable Sata enclosure or two (for safety) and then just buy raw Sata drives. With 2 TB drives on the market now, you can bring 8 drives for 16 TBs (!) of space. Using Shotput Pro, you send the material to the two drives. This will increase performance, and it won't tie you to a Raid1 system. You will simply be making two copies at once. You can keep/travel with one set and ship home another.

The LTO machine we have connects via GigE and transfers at about 80MB/sec. It's pretty cool and decently fast for a tape device. You would have to make two tapes, though, to cover yourself and you have to do it one at a time. With drives, you make the two copies right off the bat. Also, if your Lto gets lost, stolen, or broken, it will be hard to replace in a short time, if not impossible with import/export rules. Computer drives will be more readily available. Remember what I said before, when you're trapsing around the world, you want the path of least resistance when it comes to data transfer and backup. The LTO is better left in the studio in my opinion. Unless you want to bring two LTO drives, but that gets expensive really fast. I think all of the previous advice you received earlier still stands true.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]