PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

large quantity Backup in the field

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kim Rowley
large quantity Backup in the field
on Oct 16, 2009 at 3:09:36 pm

Hey all, I've written in the past but am having a difference of opinion with the director on this subject who says I didn't give you all enough info. So...

I have a more than month long shoot in various nations in Asia - precisely Corea, Japan, Phillipines and Tailand - coming up starting January 2010. I will be bringing 2, possibly 3 HVX 171 cameras and shooting SD DVCPro50. It is NOT a documentary shoot but rather the documentation of several conferences from start to finish so we will be generating a great deal of footage. Let's say for safety sake we can count on at least 4 hours of material per day which in DVCPro 50 would mean an average of 120 Gigs per day. (4 P2 32gig cards) So total footage before the trip's end will be more than 4TB if my calculations are correct. We currently have 2 2TB Western Digital Drives and one 1 TB WD drive. Oviously though if we want to work in at least RAID 1 for data protection these disks will not provide enough room. The director sustains that backing up to LTO would give us more peace of mind but I am leary about that based on what some of you said when I posted this question the first time. Sure, having the data on LTO tape would provide security and if I offloaded a second copy of the material I could even ship back a duplicate copy home ahead of us. That is tantalyzing...
Is the process of laying off to LTO the same as laying off to a hard disk? I imagine it would be slower but aside from that is it as easy as plugging the LTO into the Macbook Pro and using Shotput?

Thanks for any feedback on this subject.

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.02), OS X10.4.11

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]