PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: HPX 170 a good choice?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dan Brockett
Re: HPX 170 a good choice?
on Oct 13, 2008 at 1:31:33 am

I regularly shoot with the EX1 and I just traded my HVX200 for an HPX170.

I agree with Steve, you are an ideal candidate for a 2/3" camera with a removable lens. Buy a lens with a doubler and you are set to go. I think you will find any of the smaller fixed lens cams a major compromise to shoot sports, the lenses are not up to the task and add on teles just degrade an already inexpensive lens further.

One possibility might be the XL-H1 if you can't afford a 2/3" camera. While it has the most horrible eyepiece imaginable (you would have to budget for a 7" decent HD monitor), it does come with a 20X lens for under $10k.

I hate HDV but for your needs, it might suffice? You are going through the same thing that all of us are, there is no perfect sub $10k camera, they all have considerable downsides along with some amazing capabilities.

If Panasonic had made the HPX170 with the lens of the XL-H1, 1/2" CCDs with native 1920x1080 resolution with the LCD of the EX-1, then we would have the perfect sub $10k camera. But that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

With this economy, you will see some screaming deals on slightly used HPX500s, XDCAM350s and HPX-2000 and 3000s. If you can wait, you might score a really nice deal. People will be dumping them when they cannot pay their rent/mortgage. Sad to say.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]