PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

HPX 170 a good choice?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chuck Farace
HPX 170 a good choice?
on Oct 12, 2008 at 4:27:40 am

I am a video producer who shoots primarily sports along with corporate and some documentary work. I have a Macbook PRO FCS 6. I was looking to add a new camera, and thought it made sense to go with an HD camera at this point. Plus be able to offer HD if clients request HD. I have tried the Sony EX-1, Canon A1 and Panasonic HPX 170. I felt the 170 had great ergonomics and weight. Though I found it hard to see the football being thrown in the viewfinder. The LCD screen wasn't helpful in the daylight, even when I covered it. I knew the camera had a 13X lens and it is truly a wide angle lens, but for sports I wish it was telephoto. The Sony Ex-1 produced beautiful images, though like many have posted I did experience some effects with the lines on the field, bleachers, etc. The Sony LCD was better than the Panny LCD. It does feel heavy and uncomfortable to hold. My Canon XL-1 is like a feather compared to the EX-1 brick. I do use a tripod and can purchase a 3rd party shoulder mount... The importing with SXS was quick but the render time was long when converting to SD due to the GOP. I tried using ProRes 422 but, saw more pixelating compared to copying the HD clips and pasting into a SD sequence, rendering and out to compressor.
I'm not sure which way to go at this point, or is it best to wait again and hope cameras improve? I haven't had calls for HD as of yet, but I would like a new camera since my business has grown. I appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]