PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: need direction! - migration away from DigiBeta SD

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Wulzen
Re: need direction! - migration away from DigiBeta SD
on Jun 15, 2008 at 7:27:03 pm

Hi Kim-

Again, I think we are more or less in the same boat. Currently I also do all (well, most, depending on the project) of our DVD encoding through an Optibase hardware encoder straight from the DigiBeta master. Compressor works alright but it also takes up time from my edit machine and honestly I have never gotten it to look as good as what I can get out of a hardware based encoder.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in, but it sounds like the best option still resides in getting a Kona 3 card, and having that flexibility of doing down/up/cross conversions. By keeping your existing DigiBeta decks hooked up, you can take your HD master and downconvert it to a SD DigiBeta for DVD encoding. Granted, this does create one more step in the process, but I think it would yield the best results.

I guess I should also ask if you were planning on making an SD master tape for archiving as well? If you are then it almost seems like a given to go this way. If not, well, then it's still an option.

One thing I don't know however is whether or not an HD hardware encoder would have the capability to make an SD version off of your HD master. My guess is no, but if somebody knows...

How are you doing archiving at the moment? That would be a good place to start.

-David Wulzen

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]