PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

need direction! - migration away from DigiBeta SD

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kim Rowley
need direction! - migration away from DigiBeta SD
on Jun 13, 2008 at 8:47:00 am

I am in PAL land and work for a worldwide non profit organization. We are both the client and the shop so all raw footage and Masters are archived for future use. I have worked for years in video production and for the past 10 years we have been able to sustain a DigiBeta SDI workflow through and through. Now however our DVW700 after 10 years of faithful service is ready to retire and we need to replace it. Logical step is to inch into HD, right? I am writing on this forum since we are interested in replacing the DVW 700 with the HPX3000.

We have an OB Van that shoots live events, recording to DigiBeta 4:3. The fotage of the current 700 is integrated into projects and documentaries. I'll add that we have always strived to maintain great picture quality, though cannot afford to go full HD all at once. So we're looking at a hybrid situation for the near future.

I's necessary to note too that all our archive (5000 or so tapes) is all on Digibeta 4:3 and we constantly access archive tapes for current projects. Our final Masters for the time being will still be SD. We will be able to go 16:9 slowly but surely, but remaining in SD.

Before considering workflow, how does the 3000 measure up to DigiBeta as far as quality goes. I know that depends on codec... Say I shot SD 4:3 with the DCPRO50 codec. Would that be totally ludicrous?

What other options do I have? Shoot HD and then downconvert? Where and how does the downconversion happen? I guess I could archive both the HD footage as well as the SD converted footage.

Could anyone with more experience on these issues offer some guidance?

Let's just start with these questions for now.

I thank anybody who has taken the time to read this and also those who respond!
Cheers!

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.02), OS X10.4.11

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]