PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: P2 workflow and storage

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

mattjgerard
Re: P2 workflow and storage
on Jun 19, 2007 at 8:30:04 pm

One thing to keep in mind with your setup is that the data pipe, in your case firewire (800 I hope) will slow things up before a single drive will. Firewire 800 data rates are still under what the raw drive can push out.

So, in your case, unintended result is that you are sparing yourself from much misery in case one of your lacies goes down, since you have the data among 4 drives, you will only lose whats on that drive.

In our offices, until we got our xraids last year, we had a 100% failure rate with lacie drives. 8 drives on 3 different edit systems. A couple had the power supplies burn up, we were able to recover by putting the drive in a different case, other times the drive itself burnt out. I had a client that had a single lacie 250 that had (no kidding) less than 12 hours total on time crap out right at our office. Power supply crapped out. Just keep your ear open, if the drives start clicking or acting funny (taking too long to spin up, slow access time, etc) BACK UP and ditch the drive AND the case. Sorry to be so negative, but i've been burnt too many times by these drives. Get a drive case with a fan in it. Heat = drive failure.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]